BraveNation

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Wed. March 23, 2022

 I believe that the "thing" that terrifies me more than anything is creating "sofa art." What I'm frightened of hearing is , "Oh, that's so pretty!" I adore beauty. I venerate it. I consume it and bow down to it. The I Ching has a a hexagram- Number 22- Grace- Confucius "felt very uncomfortable when once, on consulting the oracle, he obtained the hexagram of GRACE." It shows "tranquil beauty..." There is most certainly a place in art for beauty but I too, grow uncomfortable in it's pursuit, artistically.

It ain't all shits n giggles...sometimes it's like fucking pulling teeth- the fucking paint won't "do" what you want it to do (Like that's even a possibility!! This is on 24"x36" primed canvas. The undercoat is Matisse colored gesso with blocks of various acrylics that were gesso-ed over with a custom color. I then removed it and did gestures with crayons and rubbed everything out and went over most of it with Speedball ink on brayers and more markings.


Sometimes, (who we kidding, most of the times!) Art is messy and chaotic and it ain't pretty but it should, at the best of times, reflect the conflict- the push and pull (Thanks Hans). This is noisy. This is raw. But it is real and pure and it most def ain't fucking Sofa Art. Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment