BraveNation

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

 A couple of new pieces to share with "Show n Tell." Both canvases are 18"x24" so it makes them studies for me. Ideas, techniques and other "discoveries"  that are usually applied to larger pieces. I used different mediums but what does link the two is the use of acrylic modeling paste for the impasto effect.


This is the original image which is with Matisse acrylics over the modeling paste. I liked the effect- the colors, not so much. I posted it on Instagram and asked whether I should gesso over it and start again. One highly regarded viewer suggested "just some of it." I never liked the green and dark blue bits. Another viewer suggested saving the pastels on the right. What is below is, I think, the finished piece.




 I went over the offending areas with tinted gesso and other bits of sleight of hand. Named the piece, "The Committee."


There is a bit of a classical element to this. Begins with the acrylic paste and then the tri-colours are casein based with oil paint on top. In person this work has a luminescent quality. Titled, "Autumn Trio."

No comments:

Post a Comment